Thursday, January 21, 2016

Sweet Potato and Chicken Enchiladas


I have a serious love for all things Mexican. From the home decor to their food. I'm pretty sure the decor of my next home will have tons of Mexican themed touches. I love, love how everything is just so bright and colorful, including their food. 
Seriously, who doesn't love Mexican food?!  I so just love making Mexican food. It's always really delicious, really flavorful and most of the time really easy because it requires a lot of the same basic ingredients.  And, if I must say so myself its one of the things (Unlike many others) that I normally don't screw up!  This idea came to me because, well I wanted to cook a healthy dinner and barely had anything in the house.  However, I also didn't have the enthusiasm to pack two kids in the car and head to the supermarket in the freezing cold.  So, I opened the fridge took out some chicken cutlets and grabbed the sweet potatoes off the counter (that were about to go bad) and somehow came up with the idea to make enchiladas.  Since my husband shares the same love of Mexican food with me I thought this would be perfect meal for him to come home to after a long day of work. 
So, this is my spin on semi-healthy enchiladas. They were seriously delicious. My husband and two year old son literally devoured their entire plate. The sweet potatoes gave the enchiladas a sweetness to them that you don't normally get. The most amazing part about these beauties (aside from their scrumptious taste) was that I threw it all together in about 40 minutes. 
So here's how I made them....

Ingredients
4 boneless, skinless chicken cutlets
1 1/2 jar of your favorite enchilada sauce
4 sweet potatoes
1 onion
1 can of black beans
6 large flour tortillas
1 cup of cheddar Cheese
1 cup of montery jack cheese
Fresh Cilantro
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes

Directions
Cook the chicken in the oven with 1/4 cup of the enchilada sauce covered at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes (until chicken is fully cooked through).  In the meantime, chop your onion, peel and cut the sweet potatoes into chunks and shred all of your cheese. (The block of cheese is always better than the pre-grated). Mix the two cheese together and set aside.  Next, place the cooked chicken pieces into a large bowl and using two forks, shred the chicken. After chicken is nice and shredded, add another 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce to the chicken. Then, add beans, chopped onion, sweet potatoes, beans, cilantro (as much or as little as you'd like) and one cup of the mixed cheese into the chicken.  Mix everything together. Place a heaping scoop of the mix into the flour tortilla then roll up. Place the rolled up stuffed tortilla into a large baking pan. Continue the same with all 6 tortillas and line them up side by side so they are all touching.  Top all the rolled up tortillas with remaining 1 cup of enchilada sauce.  Then, top with remaining 1 cup (or more of you'd like) of the cheese.  Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes (until heated throughly and cheese is melted). Top with fresh chopped cilantro, cherry tomatoes and serve with creamy sour cream and a side of brown rice.
Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment